HCO POLICY LETTER OF 6 OCTOBER 1967
CONDITION OF LIABILITY
... (identical with the current edition)
CONDITION OF TREASON
When one knowingly takes the pay or favours of a group's or project's enemies while appearing to be a friend of or part of the group or project, the Condition is Treason.
The formula for Treason Condition is:
1. Deliver a paralyzing blow to the enemies of the group one has worked against and betrayed.
2. Perform a self-damaging act that furthers the purposes and or objectives of the group one has betrayed.
3. Inform the group, project or org one has betrayed of one's previous betrayal and 1 and 2 above and petition each member for forgiveness.
4. Abide by their reaction or decision.
CONDITION OF DOUBT
When one cannot make up one's mind as to an individual, a group, org or project a Condition of Doubt exists.
The formula is:
1. Inform oneself honestly of the actual intentions and activities of that group, project or org brushing aside all bias and rumour.
2. Examine the statistics of the individual, group, project or org.
3. Decide on the basis of "the greatest good for the greatest number of dynamics" whether or not it should be attacked, harmed or suppressed or helped.
4. Evaluate oneself or one's own group, project or org as to intentions and objectives.
5. Evaluate one's own or one's group, project or org's statistics.
6. Join or remain in or befriend the one which progresses toward the greatest good for the greatest number of dynamics and announce the fact publicly to both sides.
7. Do everything possible to improve the actions and statistics of the person, group, project or org one has remained in or joined.
8. Suffer on up through the conditions in the new group if one has changed sides, or the conditions of the group one has remained in if wavering from it has lowered one's status.
CONDITION OF ENEMY
When a person is an avowed and knowing enemy of an individual, a group, project or org, a Condition of Enemy exists.
The formula is:
1. Examine oneself and one's mind or have it examined to be sure that one's attitude is not based on prejudice or aberration or mere similarity to something else.
2. Decide if one's reaction to the individual, group, project or org is based on one's personal fear or the urging of others or on actual menace.
3. Assume the Condition of Doubt and apply its formula.
L. RON HUBBARD
Copyright (c) 1967 by L. Ron Hubbard
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
[The formulas for the Conditions of Enemy and Treason given above were modified by HCO P/L 23 October 1967, Enemy Formula, page 245, and HCO P/L 16 October 1968, page 247, respectively. The penalties (grey rag, etc) associated with the above conditions formulas were cancelled by HCO P/L 6 October 1970 Issue III, Ethics Penalties, and reinstated by HCO P/L 19 October 1971 (corrected & reissued 22 Oct 71), Ethics Penalties Reinstated, and then later modified by HCO P/L 16 November 1971, Conditions, Awards and Penances. These Policies can be found in the 1970 and 1971 Year Books. A corrected table of Conditions is given in HCO P/L 14 March 1968 on page 247.]